Of all the pests that can infest a building, whether it’s an apartment high-rise, a home, or a business, there are none worse than the cockroach.
Just the sight of one can lead people to make assumptions about the cleanliness of your property—and let’s face it, they’re just plain disgusting! For a business owner, having cockroaches on their property can lead to costly fines and losing business due to having to call in an exterminator and throwing out any stock.
What’s worse, a cockroach infestation can often lead to ill health effects because of “roach dust,” a combination of cockroach body parts and droppings. This can be a trigger for people who suffer from asthma.
The experts at City & Country Pest Control would like to share with you the steps you can take to keep roaches out so you won’t have to disrupt your life by calling an exterminator:
1. Clean up any food scraps: Having free and easy access to food is the easiest way to invite cockroaches into your home or business. We at City & Country Pest Control advise home and business owners to constantly clean up when preparing food, even if it’s a few crumbs! If you’re a pet owner, when possible, empty your pet’s food and water dishes and clean them at the end of the day. We at City & Country Pest Control warn that pet food is another favourite food source for cockroaches, and you may be providing them with sustenance by keeping your pet’s food and water dish out overnight.
2. Seal off any entry points: An adult cockroach can fit through a space that is as thin as a quarter. If you have any potential entry points in your home or business, cover them with mesh or caulk.
3. Deny roaches water: Cockroaches cannot survive without water. Be sure to fix any leaky pipes and drain any standing water. Also make sure there is no water left in bathtubs or sinks.
4. Clean up clutter: Cockroaches prefer tight, dark spaces. If you have any boxes, stacks of newspapers, or piles of clothing, get rid of them immediately.
5. Keep trash in a closed container: Garbage containers are a favourite food source for cockroaches. If you keep your trash in a sealed bin, roaches cannot get in—plus, this keeps any “tempting” smells from escaping. You should also empty your garbage on a daily basis.
We at City & Country Pest Control assure you that, if you follow these steps, you will most likely keep cockroaches out of your home or business. However, if you find that, despite your best efforts, you have any unwanted six-legged visitors, we offer a variety of pest control options for discretely taking care of cockroaches. Please contact City & Country Pest Control.